At Home He's a Tourist

He fills his head with culture/ He gives himself an ulcer.

Saturday, March 12, 2005

Fairly productive day, if unexciting: cleaned house, exercised, practiced guitar (Villa-Lobos Prelude 3, Thelonious Monk "Bemsha Swing"), and put in a couple of hours on Baldur's Gate II, a D&D based RPG for PC. My Lenten abstention from DVDs hasn't been too difficult, but I do look forward to seeing I [heart] Huckabees (it will be interesting at least to see Isabelle Huppert in an English-speaking role). Unfortunately Easter in this low-church backwater isn't too interesting; I doubt the Calvinist congregation will celebrate the Triduum, since they haven't even mentioned Ash Wednesday or Lent. There's a real dislike among some of these Reformed of anything that smells Romish. I remember one person grimacing with disgust when talking about that jumbo-sized crucifix outisde St. Isodore's in Abernathy. But I prefer the Easter Vigil, a three-hour liturgy lasting until midnight, to the usual Protestant Sunrise Service (and not only because I don't like getting up early). There might be some Catholic parishes here that celebrate it; I should check into that.

2 Comments:

Blogger Felix said...

A three-hour vigil? Sounds like an exercise in Te Deum.

(Thank you, I'm here all week. Try the veal.)

2:48 PM  
Blogger Carlos said...

I love the joke!

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home