At Home He's a Tourist

He fills his head with culture/ He gives himself an ulcer.

Saturday, February 12, 2005

A work Saturday. The library was practically deserted all day, so I whiled away the hours reading the Pythons autobiography. Aside from Chapman (shyness, alcoholism, homosexuality, an early death from cancer), the boys seem to have had enviable lives. Who wouldn't want to be married to Connie Booth, for instance, even if it ended up in divorce? The book, consisting entirely of first-person accounts, is a fascinating read for the Pythonophile. I did a little Python-related googling as well and found on amazon.co.uk a new DVD box set of Ripping Yarns! I hope they put out a region 1 version soon.

Abstaining from movies is already becoming onerous. It has made me realize how much I have depended on a couple of hours of passive entertainment to get me through the nights here.

4 Comments:

Blogger Felix said...

Discovered Ripping Yarns, have you, old chap? Jolly good show, what-what.

Myself, I'm waiting, increasingly impatiently, for the BBC to finally release Blake's 7 on DVD in the US, so that every shimmery polyester costume and every futuristic-looking prop held together with duct tape can be enjoyed in the crystal clarity of digital video.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Carlos said...

I've never actually seen Ripping Yarns, but a few years back I managed to find in a library book sale a book containing some of the telescripts. Hilarious stuff.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Felix said...

I've also considered forking out the money for a multi-region DVD player, so that asinine region-based "marketing strategies" will no longer ban me from seeing Ripping Yarns, Blakes 7, Survivors, and all the other shows produced by the BBC that some clueless pinhead corporate marketing MBA has decided not to sell in the US. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Carlos said...

I've thought about getting a multi-region DVD player. Every once in a while I'll find something strange and fascinating like this which is unavailable in Region 1 format.

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home