At Home He's a Tourist

He fills his head with culture/ He gives himself an ulcer.

Saturday, February 05, 2005

Finally saw One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest last night. (For some reason I always thought the word "Flew" in the title was a noun. Why?) I was underwhelmed; although the movie was entertaining enough, I was expecting it to be both funnier and more savage. Nor was Nicolson's performance as outrageous as I had hoped. Besides, the movie's simplistic anti-authoritarian message seems a bit dated thirty years after the close of the hippie era. But it wasn't a total waste, I guess, since at least I now understand the allusions to it in the "Homer Goes Crazy" episode of The Simpsons.

Today: guitar practice, laundry, oil change/safety inspection sticker renewal, exercise, a few more chapters of Mistress of Mistresses (a good story so far, and Eddison's ability to mimic medieval and renaissance English prose is mighty impressive (btw, I noticed in the Collected Letters of C. S. Lewis that the two carried on a correspondance in Middle English--I wish I knew languages and literature a fraction as well as those old Oxonians did)), a glass of cheap French country wine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home