At Home He's a Tourist

He fills his head with culture/ He gives himself an ulcer.

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Congregational lunch at the pastor's house after church today. The topic of conversation turned to, well, conversation. Half-Lebanese Lady said she felt frustrated that she couldn't express her thoughts in as linear a fashion as desired. Her daughter, Drama Queen, recently back from auditions at Julliard and NYU, said in her usual excitable manner that she had problems talking to her public-school peers in Plainview because their vocabulary and intellectual interests were so impoverished. HLL then said, patting me on the shoulder, "That's why Carlos is so quiet; he knows we couldn't understand half of the ten-dollar words he would use." How I wish...I find that for every page of Eddison I read I have to grab my OED.

Thinking of giving up movies for Lent. Do I have the willpower?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have your very own OED? I'm impressed.

Felix

9:38 AM  
Blogger Carlos said...

Well, the "New Shorter" edition, only 2 vols. But it sure comes in handy when reading Eddison, Lovecraft, Peake, etc.

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home