At Home He's a Tourist

He fills his head with culture/ He gives himself an ulcer.

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Bouquins

Ada, or Ardor: A Family Chronicle: A bit too pomo for my tastes (incessant multilingual word play, metafictional asides, polyvalent sexuality), but remains an interesting tale well told of a aristocratic Russian-American couple whose affair is complicated by reason of consanguinity. Again, as in Lolita, the girl is pre-pubescent, which makes me wonder about Nabokov's own proclivities, but at least the lover is only a few years older this time. Clever nihilism.

Tunes

Listen to a stream of Kate Bush's Aerial at NME.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog. I love the quote from David Byrne on Lubbock...the idea of the landscape as a symbol of man's situation in the universe.

I am checking out going to school in Lubbock, Texas Tech. What's the university like? What's the town like? Music scene? (You mention a DVD on the Lubbock music scene.) Is there a scene for writers there? What's crime and employment like?

I've been searching blogs for info on Lubbock, but haven't found a whole lot. Thanks for any input.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Carlos said...

Thanks for stopping by. I don't actually live in Lubbock but in a small town an hour's drive away, so I don't know a whole lot about the place. There's a blog, alwaysalmostsummer.blogspot.com, written by a Tech grad student who I think is interested in creative writing and in local music. She has links to her friends' blogs as well, so that might get you started on exploring the TT blogosphere. (I don't know her or comment on her blog, so don't say I sent you!)

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I appreciate it. Take care and good luck blogging.

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home