At Home He's a Tourist

He fills his head with culture/ He gives himself an ulcer.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

After being the wine-bearer at a number of Calvinist dinner parties over the past month, I found myself last night looking at a nearly empty wine rack. There was only one bottle left: the 1997 Chateau La Cordonne Medoc I purchased months ago, my first foray into $20+ per bottle wine. I had been saving it for a special occasion but decided, like Miles in Sideways, that I probably won't be having any special occasions anytime soon. Besides, in a dry county you can't just nip down to the corner grocery store to pick up some table wine. So I poured a glass of the Medoc with some pasta and gingerly took a sip, bracing myself for gustatory ecstasy.

While it certainly tasted different than the mass-produced stuff I'm used to, I can't say I enjoyed it more. It was surprisingly watery and muted, though perhaps real connoisseurs would chalk that up to a palate corrupted by gin and cheap merlots. Can any wine snobs out there tell me anything about this vineyard? Anyway, it's probably just as well that someone on a librarian's salary not get enamored of pricey booze.

5 Comments:

Blogger Felix said...

It's much more affordable to be a beer snob than a wine snob.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Carlos said...

Too bad I don't have a wine geek within walking distance of my house to consult, like some people I know.

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why walk to the store? I invited the wine geek into a D&D group. Now he shows up at my house with fancy wines for us to sample....

Pablo

12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I consulted with the "wine geek within walking distance of my house." Here is his advice:

The problem is with the 1997 vintage in general, which gave a lot of wines that were thin, watery, and rather green almost across the board in Bordeaux. Try that experiment again with a similar wine from the 2000 vintage, and you'll see the difference.

Pablo

9:26 AM  
Blogger Carlos said...

Thanks--too bad I didn't know that beforehand. I hope to get up to Amarillo on Sat. to replenish my supplies, so I'll give the 2000 a try. I trust the wine guy after he recommended that delicious $10 Italian red.

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home