At Home He's a Tourist

He fills his head with culture/ He gives himself an ulcer.

Monday, October 10, 2005

I finished teaching my half of the Lewis course. It didn't go as well as I would have liked, but nevertheless the experience was worthwhile in a number of respects. First, I get paid $900, and I'm already shopping for a high-definition TV. Second, it was nice having an excuse to read Lewis again, and I picked up on some themes that I overlooked in previous readings. (E.g. I just now noticed how prominent the theme of integrating the rational with the emotional and imaginative is in his writings.) Third, my best student, a genuine Lewis enthusiast and Roman Catholic who would be classified politely as "non-traditional," would like to introduce me to her daughter, a law student at Notre Dame who is (in her admittedly biased opinion) "the brilliant one of the family."

Touchstone article: The conservative Kerouac. (Dharma Bums is one of my favorite novels, pure escapism that manages not to be cloying.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no. ANOTHER librarian falling for a lawyer.

Pablo

10:13 AM  
Blogger Felix said...

What did you dislike about the way the Lewis course went?

Do you think you might participate in teaching it again sometime, with the benefit of your experience this time around?

3:58 PM  
Blogger Carlos said...

The majority of students seemed bored and/or confused. Perhaps if I had been able to choose the course text, and had more time to prep, I would have done a better job. Oh well...

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home