At Home He's a Tourist

He fills his head with culture/ He gives himself an ulcer.

Saturday, July 23, 2005

Yesterday IT called and ordered us to log off all computers in the library due to a network slowdown caused, perhaps, by a virus. Thus disconnected, did we library workers spend our time usefully reading the latest editions of Library Journal and C&RL? No, we played Scrabble. Unfortunately we only had access to the Spanish language version, housed in the Juvenile section for education majors, so the letter distribution was unusual by English standards and included double-l and -r tiles. I got my ass kicked--no surprise there, eh Pablo?

Today I got an iPod! I plan to use it at the gym to distract me from the pain. I'll probably download a few tunes from my CD collection, some news broadcasts from Radio France Internationale, and some religious programming from EWTN. With 30 GB of space, I won't have to be very discriminating.

5 Comments:

Blogger Felix said...

It seems that Pablo has left the building. I guess that means we can say whatever we want to about him in his absence, right?

8:07 PM  
Blogger Carlos said...

You may be right...I was sure that, not just one, but two comments about Scrabble would bring him out of hiding.

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've played Scrabble with a German board a few times - both in English and in German. It's kind of strange trying to play English with a board for a different language. The tiles have different frequencies and values depending on how rare or common that letter is in that language. ("Q" is more common in Spanish, for instance.)

Happy now?

Pablo

1:46 PM  
Blogger Felix said...

Blissfully so.

Pablo is back!

8:17 PM  
Blogger Carlos said...

We smoked him out!

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home