At Home He's a Tourist

He fills his head with culture/ He gives himself an ulcer.

Monday, March 14, 2005

Reading Fletcher Pratt, Well of the Unicorn, a fantasy-adventure yarn from the 40s. I gave up on Fish Dinner in Memison; although Eddison has a gorgeous prose style, he's not a strong storyteller. Well of the Unicorn is a much more engaging read.

The music department is interested in us purchasing collected scores of various composers. I couldn't find them through our usual vendors, so I finally joined a music librarian listserv for the sole purpose of soliciting help. I got the contact info for some specialized vendors and have been receiving quotes. What I discovered is that these critical editions are very expensive (e.g. $7,000 for Beethoven), and generally incomplete, with new volumes appearing at a leisurely rate (one volume every few years). I'm not sure it's going to work out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home