At Home He's a Tourist

He fills his head with culture/ He gives himself an ulcer.

Saturday, March 10, 2007

J.E. is returning to China in June. The Boss entrusted me to post the job description for his position to various library career websites. I asked if it would be okay for me to amend the qualifications to include the requirement that all applicants be single women under 30 years old, under 5'8'' tall, and under 140 lbs., but she didn't think so. Speaking of jobs, I finally was able to google around and find out about the person who took the last job I interviewed for. He's a Ph.D. student in Buddhism, which makes me feel a little better since knowledge of eastern religious was specifically mentioned as a preferred qualification. I'll just assume that was the reason I didn't get the job, not that I did a lousy job presenting myself in the interview.

For Lent this year I'm "detoxing"--no caffeine or alcohol. Actually my motives are as much medical as spiritual, since I'm hoping abstinence might help my insomnia. So far it hasn't.

Cultural Consumption: the first six Terry Pratchett Discworld novels, William Morris The Wood Beyond the World (prettily written but the main protagonists were bland; only the femme fatale witch had any spark), Evelyn Waugh Black Mischief, Woody Allen Play it Again, Sam, Joanna Newsom Ys, Puffy AmiYumi Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi.

More JPop fluff for the search engines:



Keywords: Guitar tab chords Morning Musume Joshi Kashimashi Monogatari 女子かしまし物語

Stanzas, e.g.:

"Mazu wa! Ishikawa Rika"  OI!
C#m7
Jibun ja sono ki wa nai rashii
F#m7 Gm7 G#7
Sore de mo kanari yuutousei
F#m7 B E C#m7
Honki de kawaii ano ko ni
F#m7 G#7 C#m7
Onna wa JERASHI-
"Ehe"

Choruses:

C#m7
WOW WOW WOW seishun
F#m7 G#7
Iroiro aru sa!
C#m7
Ni san nin tsudottara
F#m7 G#7 C#m7
Kashimashi  kashimashi

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thunderstruck when I first saw the commuter-train video. First, how could they do any dance moves inside of that compact space? Second, a song about "noisy girls?" Plus, I scrounged around for other versions of that video and there are several, all interesting and different, and a bunch of live-concert variations. It's all good. I haven't been the same since, got a region-free DVD player and have never looked back. Morning Musume is a sensational concept and nobody from the States can touch them. Just one person's opinion.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Carlos said...

What got me hooked on MM was Ayaka's English Lessons. Now the only TV I watch is Japanese (courtesy of YouTube and BitTorrents).

11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's your employer's position on hiring women, in light of the Sheri Klouda controversy over at Southwestern Theological Seminary?

http://kerussocharis.blogspot.com/2007/01/sheri-klouda-gender-discrimination_17.html

Seems to me that Baptist schools, under the control of Paige Patterson's gang of fundamentalist bigots, have started in on the next phase of their purges of seminary staff. Having already purged everybody who wouldn't sign a loyalty oath, they're now purging the ranks of female professors on the grounds that a woman may not teach men.

Of course, it doesn't seem to stop university president Paige Patterson's wife from pulling down a nice little paycheck. She's different, I guess. Sort of like W.A. Criswell's wife, who taught both sexes in Sunday school for years while her husband fulminated against the wickedness of having women in church positions. Or the women whom Patterson himself appointed to a convention governing board when it suited his political purpose to do so.

Kinda puts the kibosh on any possibility of meeting any educated females at a Baptist college, I'd think.

Not to mention that it would doom all Baptist men to being forever ignorant of any knowledge originating with women. Including, amusingly, the knowledge of Christ's revelation, which he had the bad taste to initially reveal to ... *gasp* ... WOMEN.

"Peter! Matthew! I've just been to Jesus's tomb, and..."

"SILENCE, WOMAN!!!"

Feel free to respond privately, and block display of this comment, if you fear that engaging in discussion would endanger your job.

Felix

6:51 PM  
Blogger Carlos said...

I'm somewhat embarassed that despite working at a Baptist school, I know less about the situation than you do. However, since we're affiliated with the more moderate Texas convention rather than with the fundy SBC, we don't have to follow Patterson's lead. We currently have a female faculty member in the religion department and I haven't heard that her job in in jeopardy.

Even if one agrees with Paul (the Apostle, not the Blogless) that women shouldn't be teachers in the church, it isn't self-evident (to me anyway) that the prohibition covers teaching theology in the university.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, Ms. Klouda was teaching the Hebrew language, not theological doctrine.

Oh, and the phrase "Christ's revelation" in my message above was supposed to be "Christ's resurrection", but you probably figured that out from the context.

Felix

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home