At Home He's a Tourist

He fills his head with culture/ He gives himself an ulcer.

Friday, August 04, 2006

Jobs

An academic librarian advises hiring committees not to drag out the process into an "Endless Searche" lest their desired candidates get offended and take a job elsewhere:

Few recent Ph.D.'s searching for faculty jobs would reject a tenure-track offer out of resentment over how the search process was handled. But academic librarians are in a seller's market and may be able to afford that luxury. [!!!] A good academic librarian might not think twice about turning down an offer, since a move elsewhere is not only possible but will almost certainly come with a raise and an increase in prestige and responsibility.

Methinks Dr. Gilman's perspective is one-sided. After all, as far as I can tell he got a plum job at Yale straight out of library school. Or maybe the problem is with me not being a good academic librarian. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

I was talking to J.E., my coworker who taught English in China, about the possibility of my doing the same. He said his Chinese wife recommended I do it. I asked why. Because, he said she said, I'd pick up a wife easily, being the sort of guy Chinese women would find very handsome. Presumably that means more than "having an American passport," but I didn't want to inquire further into her rationale. Anyway, sounds interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home