At Home He's a Tourist

He fills his head with culture/ He gives himself an ulcer.

Friday, November 12, 2004

I've got three book reviews to write this month, so Biblioblog posts will probably be even more sporadic than usual for the next few weeks. A few tidbits in the meantime:

I applied for a job at my alma mater. Wish me luck, although I'm trying not to get my hopes up only to have them frustrated. The university is on a pretty campus in a medium-sized town within reasonable driving distance of two metropolitan areas.

Guitar lessons are coming along. My tutor is a fellow approximately my age who was a grad student in classical guitar at Texas Tech until a mysterious wrist ailment forced him to quit. He's not an expert in jazz but he knows more about it than I do, and also teaches me techniques which are applicable to guitar playing in general. I'm making simple solo arrangements of Thelonious Monk ballads with the help of a fake book. I thought I knew my chords but Monk's abstruse harmonies occasionally present an unfamiliar one (e.g. Bb7b9#11, which I fudge as [6x645x]). Good stuff. I'll probably buy a new guitar in Dallas over Thanksgiving.

Guardian: Website helps drinkers tot up their units.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Carlos, I'll pray for you regarding the Job.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Carlos said...

Thanks, I could use it.

1:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home