At Home He's a Tourist

He fills his head with culture/ He gives himself an ulcer.

Sunday, July 04, 2004

What did I accomplish this weekend?

  1. I applied for a couple of more jobs which, even if not as ideal as the dream job mentioned earlier, are still appealing. God willing, I'll get out of Texas one of these days.
  2. I had a good workout in the gym on Saturday. It's a summer project of mine to get from a 36 to a 34 inch waist, so I've been using Splenda in my coffee and exercising on the weekends as well as during the week. Progress is slow but steady--I lost 3 lbs in June.
  3. I finished Myst III: Exile, which I recommend highly if you like detailed and imaginative scenery, atmospheric mood music, and moderately difficult logic puzzles.
  4. I saw the first Spider Man on DVD and liked it more than I expected.
  5. I tried to watch Serbian director Emir Kusturica's acclaimed Underground, winner of the Palme d'Or at Cannes in '95, but I found it tiresome. Perhaps part of the problem is that the two main characters, outrageously uninhibited Yugoslav brothers in sports jackets, reminded me too much of the Festrunk brothers to take seriously.
  6. At Hastings I found a copy of Merde!: The Real French You Were Never Taught at School for seventy-five cents, and it's already been useful in helping me understand the Simpsons en français. I now know what the producer of Itchy and Scratchy meant by calling Marge une emmerdeuse, and it's considerably less polite than the "screwball" of the English original.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home