At Home He's a Tourist

He fills his head with culture/ He gives himself an ulcer.

Sunday, June 20, 2004

Went to the Orthodox Presbyterian Church again this morning. I may make it my home church for the (hopefully short) time I'm here. The sermons, though too long, at least employ full-blooded Christian concepts such as sin, incarnation, atonement, redemption, election, etc., unlike the mainline churches where you tend to get vague moralism or pop-psychology. And it's a friendly little community.

My Lubbock excursion this afternoon was largely unsuccessful. Framing my posters, I found out, will be prohibitively expensive ($140 for the largest of the three). The Firestone place didn't have any tires small enough for my Saturn. I didn't see any shoes I liked. And the car wash was out of business. I did, though, get a much needed haircut. Hurrah.

To backpedal a bit, "Homer the Heretic" from season 4 is a classic Simpsons episode, and not only because Lubbock gets mentioned in it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Felix said...

How big are the posters you got? Too big to fit any of the cheap poster-frames from Target, Walmart, et al?

10:25 AM  
Blogger Carlos said...

Felix: Well, for two of the posters there are cheap frames that are big enough, but not a perfect fit, so I'd still need to pay for matting. I may end up doing that.

Johnny-Dee: I liked the ECUSA church I went to in northern Indiana, which combined high liturgy with traditional theology. That's almost impossible to find here in west Texas; the E.O. parish in Lubbock is the only place I've found along those lines.

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home