At Home He's a Tourist

He fills his head with culture/ He gives himself an ulcer.

Thursday, March 20, 2003

One of those logic web sites I'm reviewing for Choice doesn't work very well on IE, and Netscape isn't part of our network software package. I had the library's computer technician call a mid-level guy in IS to explain the situation but the answer was no, I wasn't allowed to install it on my machine. This response made me angrier than it should have, perhaps because I felt the IS guy wasn't taking my request seriously enough: he made no effort to explain the rationale behind the prohibition or to consult a higher-up to see if an exemption might be made. I was irked enough to seriously consider getting the browser anyway just as a sort of protest against an irrational policy. The lesson learned: ego causes suffering. (Second Noble Truth, almost.) And the anger was useless anyway since I easily got permission from the head of IS to temporarily download Netscape.

A cold front must have passed through the infernal regions tonight because something interesting happened on campus: a screening of the west Texas classic Hud prefaced by political/historical commentary from our political science professor. (Yes, that use of the singular is correct.) I might talk more about the movie later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home