At Home He's a Tourist

He fills his head with culture/ He gives himself an ulcer.

Tuesday, March 18, 2003

After toiling over the Choice review, I got an email from my editor saying that it was some 120 words over the limit. Actually, their printed guidelines for reviewing internet resources clearly state "300 words or less," and just for the nicety of it I made mine exactly 300. But the copyeditors want the internet reviews to be the same length as the book reviews, 180 words maximum. So the review had to be shorn of all its long, lovely sentences. (Lovely to me, at least.) The editor chopped them off, leaving bald, homely prose. Fortunately I did get more assignments: two logic tutorial sites and a book on pragmatist moral philosophy. Then, of course, the Library Journal item for review will be coming in about the same time, so I might be too busy for blogging. On the other hand, I'm almost done with Kingdom Hearts, which is eating up a lot of time.

This evening I went to a presentation at our local library on the basics of storm spotting, given by the meteorologist at the Lubbock National Weather Service bureau. Storm spotting is not the same as storm chasing, so I still don't feel adequately prepared to hunt down twisters, but it's a start. The meteorologist is from upstate New York but says that down here is the best place in the country for severe weather fans.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home