At Home He's a Tourist

He fills his head with culture/ He gives himself an ulcer.

Monday, March 10, 2003

I'm spending too much time writing and rewriting my first Choice review; perfectionism is such a drain. I'll force myself to wrap it up and send it off tomorrow.

The digital camera is great! To upload pictures, though, I not only need to buy space from blogspot, but also a spiffier version of blogger. Total cost would be about $80 a year.

I've lost a lot of my interest in Big Ideas lately. I don't have much desire to read philosophy or theology. Is this a reaction against my failure to get an academic job? Did I get burned out from spending my long stretch of unemployment reading patristics 8 hours a day? Or is it part of the natural progression of life to spend a few years (or more in some cases!) deciding what one believes, then to put the books aside and live out the newly adopted worldview? In any case, I won't force anything but will let Aquinas, Calvin, and Kierkegaard gather dust while I play with my digital camera, watch the Simpsons on DVD, drink microbrews, and pray the Daily Office.

Time to beat the cyberbushes with a new, deliberately provocative opinion, to see if I can't flush out some comments. Thesis: Women should continue to wear veils in church even in our age, because the considerations St. Paul appeals to in mandating the practice are blatantly not bound to a particular time and culture, but have universal theological validity (1 Cor. 11:2-16). Plus, veils would restore some of the feminine mystique which has been continually dismantled over the past century or so.

Did I say I was bored of theology?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home