At Home He's a Tourist

He fills his head with culture/ He gives himself an ulcer.

Friday, February 28, 2003

Jimmy Guterman, rock journalist and web master, offers these suggestions for a music industry worried about being bled to death by Kazaa and other Napster clones. But I don't see the logic: people aren't pirating music just because it's convenient, but because they want something for nothing. Cool how technology, which made recorded music possible, may now make it obsolete. If copyrights are impossible to protect, and 99% of people are greedy bastards who don't respect intellectual property, then no one will bother spending the money to record and release a record--there won't be enough profit in it. Could the long-term consequences be welcome? Maybe music will become primarily a live event, and exotic regional varieties which were bred away by national radio programming will sprout up again.

In that vein, I think I'm gonna go to Lubbock to check out a band from DFW playing at the "Blue Spot."

Hmm, I haven't had many comments lately. I better express some provocative opinions. Let me try this:

Massively overrated rock artists:The Rolling Stones, The Clash, Bruce Springsteen, The Ramones, Nirvana, Elvis Costello.

I found that the Bushmills was a little flavorless (tho' stiff) and the Amaretto too sweet. That's what I get for betraying my true love, Lady Geneva.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home