At Home He's a Tourist

He fills his head with culture/ He gives himself an ulcer.

Wednesday, January 29, 2003

Biased book reviewing, continued: Looking through Publisher's Weekly "Forecasts" section, I noticed that some of the bylines for reviews were signed "Agent [So-and-So]." Further investigation confirmed that indeed these are the agents promoting the books being reviewed. Not exactly an objective evaluation, I'd say, although at least PW has the honesty to identify the source. However, I've seen these same reviews quoted on amazon.com without such disclaimers, so in the future I should probably double-check the blurbs in their original context. I don't know who the other PW reviewers are: academics, librarians, publishers?

One of these days I'm going to make this blog live up to its name and actually talk about books. I promise!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home