At Home He's a Tourist

He fills his head with culture/ He gives himself an ulcer.

Saturday, January 25, 2003

"One advantage to being an introvert is that people will feel free to share juicy gossip with you and not have to worry that you'll blab." I don't actually know if that's true or not, but such is the thought that occurred to me on Thursday night when coworker A--who, after all, has only known me a few weeks--let me in on a top-secret scandal regarding mutual acquaintance B. Learning this bit of information also reinforced two other beliefs which, although obviously true, I seem to keep forgetting. First, that envy, besides being a failure of caritas, is also often a symptom of ignorance. For various reasons I was jealous of B, but now that I know how costly this incident could prove to be I don't envy him at all. Second, B's piety forces on me once again the realization that religiosity is an unreliable guarantor of virtue--a lesson that thirteen years in religious schools should have taught me by now.

I should keep in mind, though, that I'm only getting one side of the story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home