At Home He's a Tourist

He fills his head with culture/ He gives himself an ulcer.

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Movies

The Bourne Supremacy was okay, but its plot was a little too similar to that of its predecessor The Bourne Identity. I also didn't care for the jittery camera motions and choppy editing--annoying in themselves, and too reminiscent of early 1990s MTV. The climactic car chase, a high speed demolition derby through the streets of Moscow, was fun though. Overall, I'd recommended just watching the first installment on DVD, unless you really need to get out of the house.

Unfortunately the cinema, my most faithful companion, has let me down this summer. I was excited to hear about Bourne Supremacy, Troy, Arthur, and I, Robot, but they all turned out to be mediocre. Still, hope springs eternal and I've let myself look forward to the following:


  • Vanity Fair--Easier than reading Thackeray, I hope.
  • Bright Young Things--An adaptation of the Evelyn Waugh novel Vile Bodies, which I read just a few weeks ago. Will any theater in the South Plains pick it up, though?
  • Ghost in the Shell 2--A sequel to the violent but philosophical anime; another one I'll probably have to wait to appear on DVD.
  • Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow--Retro 1930s sci-fi. I like Jude and Gwyneth.
  • Ray--The soundtrack should be good, at least.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home