At Home He's a Tourist

He fills his head with culture/ He gives himself an ulcer.

Sunday, May 23, 2004

Anyone out there bought anything from allposters.com? I was wondering if their art prints were any good. I'm finally getting around to spiffying up the apartment, as I was contemplating last year, and wanted some color on the walls. I think six posters should be sufficient. I don't know anything about art or interior design, but it seemed to me a good idea to keep them all in the same style; I considered Japanese woodcuts but now I think I'm gonna go with the Pre-Raphaelites. Their romanticized visions of lush landscapes and lovely women will make my place a little oasis of beauty in the arid blight of the Llano Estacado.

Also on the home improvement front, I bought a nice computer desk to replace the sagging card table I'd been using. And I spent this afternoon cleaning up. I'll break these monastic tendencies yet! (At least insofar as that is possible on a librarian's salary.)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why should you restrict yourself to one style? You could have a Pre-Raphaelite living room, an Impressionistic kitchen, and a Abstract Expressionistic bedroom.

But then, why should you take decoration advice from someone whose idea of proper wall decor consists of ratty old books and paintings of locomotives?

8:03 PM  
Blogger Carlos said...

Good idea, although I'll pass on the Abstract Expressionism.

Do you have any reproductions of old railway advertisements? I like the South Shore series from the 20's.

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, but there's a RR memorabilia company that periodically sends me a catalog that sometimes includes poster-size reproductions of early twentieth-century RR advertisements. Since the New York Central ran through Y-town, I've considered getting some of their Art Deco-ish "20th Century Limited" posters. I'll look and see if they carry anything from the South Shore.

Felix

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Update: Try Googling for ("South Shore" AND prints). or ("South Shore" AND posters). There are several webpages that appear to be offering a selection for sale. Some of them are full size and others aren't.

Felix

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home