At Home He's a Tourist

He fills his head with culture/ He gives himself an ulcer.

Thursday, January 08, 2004

Music

One of my new year's resolutions is to buy fewer CDs, but when a music store in Huntsville AL went out of business over Christmas vacation I couldn't resist taking advantage of their clearance sale. The Cornershop album isn't great, but the first two tracks are worth the $2 I paid for it. It was nice to find the remastered CD version of Genesis' Selling England By the Pound, an album I've listened to on vinyl countless times over the past twenty-odd years. Chuck Berry's Great Twenty-Eight is a bargain at full-price, and at $4 a real steal. It's a sad commentary on the state of oldies radio programming that I've only heard a handful of these tracks before. Berry kicks Elvis' fat white ass any day of the week with high-octane rhythms, a hornet's nest of buzzing, stinging electric guitar riffs, and joyfully inventive wordplay. And I couldn't believe my ears to hear the final cut, "I Wanna Be Your Driver"; Dylan's "Obviously 5 Believers" is a blatant rip-off!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home