At Home He's a Tourist

He fills his head with culture/ He gives himself an ulcer.

Thursday, August 21, 2003

From the Publishers

LJ sent me a book to review by a Slovenian pomo philosopher and cultural critic. It's called The Puppet and the Dwarf: The Perverse Core of Christianity. The blurb says "His reading of Christianity is explicity political, discerning in the Paulinian community of believers the first version of a revolutionary collective." Blech. I shouldn't complain, though--I think reviewing, by forcing me to read stuff I ordinarily would avoid, will perhaps keep my opinions (unfailingly correct though they are) from getting too ossified. This is certainly a case in point, since I dislike both continental philosophy and liberal theology. Besides, flipping through it I was pleasantly surprised to find a discussion of C.S. Lewis and G.K. Chesterton, a couple of my favorite Christian apologists, so there could be stuff of intrinsic interest here. I may blog about the book as I work through it.

The publisher of my dissertation sent me my periodic royalty statement recently. Grand total: €0.00. (Euros 'cause it's a Dutch outfit.) Even after three years in print only 170 copies of the book have been sold, mostly to libraries, and I don't start receiving a share of the profits until 250. Still, it pumps up the resumé, and it was fun to write.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home