At Home He's a Tourist

He fills his head with culture/ He gives himself an ulcer.

Thursday, June 05, 2003

Robert Christgau Word of the Day

vapid adj.


  1. Lacking liveliness, animation, or interest; dull: vapid conversation.
  2. Lacking taste, zest, or flavor; flat: vapid beer. (dictionary.reference.com)

Jefferson Airplane Surrealistic Pillow [RCA Victor, 1967]

I dismissed this as "amplified Peter, Paul & Mary" in the first piece of rock criticism I ever wrote; later, under the influence of "Somebody to Love," a few powerful Jorma Kaukonen riffs, my ex-folkie girlfriend, and the prevalent cultural vibes, I recanted--in print, yet. Now I think I was closer the first time. There's good stuff here, but Spencer Dryden plays the drums as if trying out for the Riders of the Purple Sage, the sarcasm is as vapid as the optimism, and the folk-pretty melodies simply do not carry lyrics like "When I see a girl like that/It brightens up my day." B+ (www.robertchristgau.com)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home